My Sexual Health Team Member:
Pelvic and Women’s Health physiotherapist, Chronic Pain Physiotherapist
Isabel graduated as a physiotherapist from the University of Pretoria in 1996. She has been in private practice since 1997 and is currently situated at Mediclinic Kloof Hospital in Pretoria. She was also the first physiotherapist to be part of the My Sexual Health team since 2010.
She has a passion for helping to restore healthy sexual and emotional relationships in her professional role as a physiotherapist.
She has completed numerous courses in Women’s Health Physiotherapy and has since been treating women and men with pelvic pain and dysfunction. She works together with numerous gynaecologists, gastro-enterologists, urologists and general surgeons to treat women with urinary and faecal incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, pain due to endometriosis, sexual dysfunction, ante- and post-natal pain and rehabilitation. She also treats men with pelvic pain and dysfunction, such as orchialgia, pre- and post-prostatectomy, paruresis (shy bladder) and sexual dysfunction.
Isabel is committed to helping people in a holistic way and has furthered her knowledge of the psychosocial aspects of individuals and their relationships by completing a 2-year course in Pastoral Narrative Therapy accredited by the University of Pretoria.
She is currently treasurer of the Gauteng Pelvic & Women’s Health Special Interest Group of the South African Society of Physiotherapy.
As chronic pain is a special interest for her, Isabel is also busy completing her APLD level 2 qualification in Pain Management. Apart from treating chronic pelvic pain in men and women, she has also been treating other chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and widespread chronic pain through the biopsychosocial model of pain. She is also teaching Pain Neuroscience Education to patients and helps them to implement it into their lives.
- BPhysT (UP) 1997
- Women’s Health Physiotherapist
- Level 2 APLD status in Pain Management (2017 – 2020)
- Diploma in Narrative Pastoral Therapy (UP) 2009 -2010
Additional Sexual Health Related Memberships:
- Pelvic & Women’s Health Physiotherapy Group
- Member of The Southern African Sexual Health Association
- Speaker at “Pregnancy Breakfast” at Mediclinic Kloof
- Presented as part of MSH team at the ASSM 2015
- Member of Physiofocus (Private practitioner Association)
- Member of Pelvic and Women’s Health Physiotherapy Group
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (PT0059145)
- South African Society of Physiotherapy (DEI010)
- Board of Health Funders (PR NO 7234147)
Disclaimer: MSH provides a platform for Sexual Health providers to network and learn in order to render the highest level of sexual health services to patients. MSH does not take responsibility for the clinical practice of any of its members. Any concerns can be directed towards firstname.lastname@example.org but misconduct needs to be reported to the registration body of the particular individual.