Information about increasing sexual pleasure in women is one of the most common requests we get from both men and women in our practices. Whether you are male or female, you will benefit from a few tips on how to increase sexual pleasure in women.
How does a women experience sexual pleasure?
It is important to understand that there are many ways for females to experience sexual pleasure. With or without a partner; Internal or external; orgasm or not. There are many reasons why different forms of intimacy with your partner would be pleasurable and it does not always have to involve an orgasm.
Do all women experience sexual pleasure the same?
Some women find in pleasurable enough just to spend intimate time with her partner and does not necessarily even need to orgasm to experience sexual pleasure. These moments of pleasure could be: Having a bath together, giving each other a massage, just lying in bed talking, having a nice meal together… If there is an orgasm involved, it also doesn’t always happen in the same way.
Different types of orgasm in women:
The different types of orgasms are:
- extra-genital or “other” (induced by stimulation of the nipples, for instance)
Only about a third of females can reach an orgasm from vaginal penetration alone (only internal stimulation). Another third needs clitoral stimulation together with penetration (a combination orgasm), and the other third will orgasm from clitoral stimulation alone (a clitoral orgasm). Only a small percentage of women can orgasm from stimulation of areas other than their genitals.
How can I increase my sexual pleasure as a woman?
- Make more time for intimacy and remember to include everyday things as mentioned above
- Focus on the clitoris – its only function is for you to experience pleasure, it has no other function in the body
- Use a small bullet vibrator or light touch to stimulate your clitoris
- Use lots of lubrication
- Communication with your partner is key!
- Spend enough time on foreplay (it takes longer for females!)
- Make sure you have no medical problems (medication/hormones) that impacts your ability to experience sexual pleasure
Why is it important to experience sexual pleasure?
- It has a massive influence on your partner’s satisfaction with your sex life
- It improves your mood and decreases anxiety
- It improves your body’s natural detox process
- It improves your cardiovascular health
- It increases your pain threshold
- It increases your oxytocin levels which will in turn increase your passion
We are have celebrated World Sexual Health Day on the 4th of September under the theme: “Sexual Pleasure in Times of COVID-19” We therefore have focus on Sexual Pleasure at MSH in the month of September.
Not sure if what you are experiencing is normal? Can you maybe increase your sexual pleasure as a woman? Could there be a medical reason impacting your ability to experience sexual pleasure? Come and talk to us!
No topic is too intimate for us – we are here to help!
Written by Dr Jeanne Aspeling
MSH Cape Town