My Sexual Health Team Member:
Lizette de Klerk
Physiotherapist with a special interest in women’s and men’s health, chronic pelvic pain, and general physiotherapy
Lizette de Klerk is a qualified physiotherapist, with a master’s degree in Sport. She has been in private practice for 20 years+ and runs her own private practice in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town.
Through the years, Lizette has gained a lot of experience in various aspects of physiotherapy. She was heavily involved with sport for many years. Of special interest during this time was the effect of sport on the female pelvic floor and other health issues of women taking part in sport (hormone imbalances, athletic triad etc).
Lizette’s focus shifted while treating sportswomen and changed from the individual athlete to looking at the person as a whole with specific emphasis on how the different phases a woman moves through in her life and the effects on her physical and emotional well-being. By going on this journey, Lizette has realised that the emotional component that women deal with in their lives can often manifest as physical pain and she strives to get to the root of the cause and help resolve the pain and discomfort her patients feel.
Lizette is always keen to learn more in the field she is passionate about by attending journal clubs, reading research articles, and attending relevant courses in women’s health, men’s health, chronic pain, and sexual function.
She focuses on education, treatments, and exercise programmes and recently started a post-natal exercise programme for mothers who want to get back to their sport post pregnancy.
Lizette served on the Western Cape Women’s Physiotherapy Group Committee from 2016 till 2018. She attended the Durbanville Pelvic Floor Unit monthly and was the first physiotherapist in Cape Town to join the My Sexual Health Team.
- M Phys T Sport (UP)
- B Phys T (UP)
- Certificate in Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapy
Additional Sexual Health Related Qualifications/Courses/CPDs:
- Pelvic and Women’s Health Physiotherapy Group courses since 2009
- Southern African Sexual Health Association Group courses since 2017
- Various modules in Pain Management- Train Pain Academy since 2014
- MSH Sexual Pain Training Course – 2020
- Various Lactation Courses and Breast Cancer Courses
- SASHA masterclass and numerous SASHA CPD’s
- Registered physiotherapist with the HPCSA: PT 0045217
- Member or the PWHPG and Pain Management Groups of the South African Society of Physiotherapy
- BHF Practice number: 7236158
- Member of Durbanville Pelvic Floor Unit
- Member of The My Sexual Health Team
- Member of the Southern African Sexual Health Association
Disclaimer: MSH provides a platform for Sexual Health providers to network and learn in order to render the highest level of sexual health services to patients. MSH does not take responsibility for the clinical practice of any of its members. Any concerns can be directed towards email@example.com but misconduct needs to be reported to the registration body of the particular individual.