Our clinic specialises in the treatment of patients with painful intercourse and chronic pelvic pain. We have treated many patients who have never been able to have sex due to the severity of the pain as well as patients whose lives are affected by pelvic or perineal pain on a daily basis. If you are not able to use a tampon or find it extremely painful, we can also help you.
Painful intercourse (dyspareunia) can occur for a variety of reasons and the most important thing we want you to know is that we believe you that it hurts – it is not in you head!
As many as one in five women experience pain during intercourse!
If you are one of them, we would like to help you.
We try our absolute best to find the source of the pain and to find the right combination of treatment options for you.
If some of the following advice and opinions of healthcare providers sound familiar to you, but did not help, please give our clinic a go and see if we can not find a solution for you…
- “Just live with it. There’s nothing you can do”
- “Just drink some wine and the pain will all go away”
- “See a psychiatrist- it must be in your head”
- “Do you think women in Africa who are starving are thinking about this? Get a hobby or a job” (Yes…this was stated)
- “Just think about a pain somewhere else in the body and it will go away”
- “Wish the pain away. Positive thoughts are the answer”
- “Since I can’t see anything that could be causing it, I’m sure it’s not that bad”
- “You are fine. You are just spending too much time thinking about it”
- “Your husband will appreciate it if you just don’t say anything”
You should not have to just “live with it”. Painful intercourse has an effect on you and can put a strain on a relationship.
We are aware that talking about sex and the examination might be terrifying . Please remember that we see patients with this condition on a daily basis and are therefore very understanding.
Depending on the diagnosis, referral to a physiotherapists, sexologist and/or psychologist (usually covered by medical aid) might be necessary and follow-ups at our clinic will be done until you have pain-free intercourse. If you suffer from chronic pain the aim is to decrease the intensity of the pain and decrease the frequency and intensity of flair-ups, keeping you pain-free for as long as possible.
Please note: Although not ideal, Skype or telephonic consultations can be arranged to get the process started. The examination can always be scheduled for a later date.